Thinking about what I need to get finished before General Conference I began to feel excitement rise within me. I paused for a moment and asked myself this question, why am I excited about conference? I’ve been going to General Conferences since 1973 so you would think I would be tired of it by now, or at least NOT excited. Hmmmm….so what is it about the United Pentecostal Church International General Conference that puts a smile on my face and a pep in my step? First of all I thought, I will get to see my two sisters and their families. Since we have moved to California I do not get to see them as much as I use to, so I’m excited about that.
2. I enjoy the large crowd of pastors, teachers, missionaries, evangelists, preacher’s wives and preacher’s kids, of which a lot of them are my friends. We will sit and talk and I will enjoy every minute.
3. Walking into the large arena and hearing the music and singing of such a large audience is always a pleasure. Sometime during the week I will stop and just listen as someone from the podium says, “Let’s give the Lord a hand clap of praise” and I will think, WOW! That sounds like a mighty rushing river! There is nothing like it in the entire world. All of these people clapping and making a joyful noise unto the Lord is incomparable.
4. Wednesday morning I will be with Ladies Ministries Presidents and Secretaries from all the districts of the United Pentecostal Church for a meeting.
5. I will look forward to hearing the General Superintendant’s message on Thursday night and hear the direction he is setting for this great fellowship.
6. Thursday morning as my husband attends a business session, I will attend Ladies day with many other ministers’ wives for a time of refreshing. On Friday Morning as my husband attends more business, I will be meeting with friends and family for the ministers wives breakfast with the General Superintendant’s wife as our hostess. Oh! And then, there is Youth Day, Home Missions Service, Foreign Missions, Sunday school and Sunday Night Crusade! These are just a few things that I look forward to at our annual United Pentecostal Church General Conference.
I am thankful to be part of such a great body of believers and men and women who are giving themselves to ministry in some way. Some are pastors. Some are missionaries. Some are evangelists. Others are in children’s ministry, music ministry, teachers, youth pastors, and the list goes on.
God, please bless Your people as we gather in Houston, Texas for our General Conference. We need Your touch. We need Your guidance. We need to hear from You. Thank-you for being mindful of us and sending us exactly what we need. In Your precious Name. Amen!